Pumpkin seeds are thrown away every year when we carve our pumpkins, but we are missing out on a delicious snack! Try this recipe for a nutritious, healthy snack. These can be given to the younger ones, but I would suggest chopping them up for children under 18 months, or grinding and sprinkling onto meals for children under 12 months.
- 1 pumpkin
- Spices of your choice e.g. chilli, cumin, fennel seeds, black pepper
- Scrape the seeds from your pumpkin with a wide, flat spoon
- Pull away the strings of flesh and rinse the seeds clean in a bowl of water
- Sprinkle over your chosen spices, and drizzle with olive oil
- Mix together so your seeds are well coated.
- Bake at 180°C/350°F/gas 4 for around 10 minutes, or until seeds are lightly golden brown
- Leave to cool, then eat straight away or store in an airtight container