PREP TIME 5 MINS
COOK TIME 30 MINS
500g pork fillet, scored 4 times
12 sprigs of fresh or 2 tsp of dried thyme
125g puy lentils, rinsed, or a tin of cooked lentils drained
1 onion, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, cut into small dice
2 garlic cloves, crushed
150ml chicken stock (1 chicken stock cube dissolved in 150ml boiling water). Try to use a low salt stock cube if serving to a child under 12 months.
400g tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Broccoli and mashed potato to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/170Cfan/gas 5.
2. Sprinkle the pork with the fresh or dried thyme leaves, and season with black pepper. Place on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
3. If using dried lentils, put the them in a saucepan, cover with three times the volume of water, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 20 minutes. If using tinned lentils then miss out this step.
4. While the lentils are cooking, spray a large saucepan with vegetable oil and place over a low heat. Add the onion, carrots and crushed garlic and sauté for 10 minutes or until the onions have softened. Add the stock and chopped tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Drain the lentils and add them to the pan. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and simmer for another 5 minutes.
6. Remove the pork from the oven, check it’s cooked and cut it into 12 slices. Spoon the lentils onto a serving platter and, top with the pork slices. Serve with green vegetables and mashed white or sweet potatoes.
This meal is appropriate for an infant after 6 months, but ensure it is prepared according to their weaning stage, eg. pureed, chopped/ mashed very small, shredded.