Suitable from 12 months
Makes 4-6 servings
Preparation time approximately 40 minutes
•2 tbsp vegetable/ olive oil •1 large onion, finely chopped •2 garlic cloves, crushed •1 red pepper, finely chopped •1 green pepper, finely chopped •2 tsp smoked paprika •2 tsp dried oregano •1 tsp ground cumin •2 tbsp tomato puree •500g beef mince •2 carrots, chopped up small •2 x 400g cans tomatoes •3 large handfuls spinach, roughly chopped •150g frozen peas •470ml reduced salt beef stock •195g rice •Sour cream/ crème fraiche, chopped avocado and lime wedges, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large casserole/ frying pan with a lid. Add the onions, peppers and garlic and fry for 3-5 mins until starting to brown.
- Add the paprika, oregano, cumin, and tomato puree cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the mince, and cook until browned.
- Stir in the carrots, spinach, tomatoes, peas, rice and stock, and bring to a simmer.
- Pop the lid on the pan and leave to simmer (stirring occasionally) on a low heat for 15-20 minute, or until the rice is cooked and the veggies are soft. Add more water to the pan if looking to dry or sticking.
- Serve in bowls topped with sour cream, chopped avocado and lime wedges.
Tip: you could use vegetarian mince for a plant based alternative